Quick tips to help your child’s reading
- Focus on the basics (simple words, knowing letter sounds)
- Read short stories to your child and point out unfamiliar words or words you are learning as you go
- Explain how books work (how to hold them, what a sentence is, where to find the name of the author,what a blurb is, etc)
- Focus on recognising common words
- Teach kids to “stop” when they reach a full stop / period.
- Encourage the child to read selected words, sentences or paragraphs from books that you read to them
- Listen to “talking” books in the car – it helps develop an appreciation of reading and an understanding of language
- Read nursery rhymes
- Find fun stories and read, read and read!
Enjoy exploring the topics and book reviews!